Traditionally the family sitting room, The Library today is as the architect Holland left it, save for the plaster ceiling added by John Mac Vicar Anderson in 1877. Too long for its elevation, Holland harmonized the room by cropping the end bays and inserting the pillars. The books represent the remnants of the astonishing private library amasses by the second Earl, which at one time was the finest private library in the world. Comprising 40,000 early printed books, including 58 Caxtons, it was sold complete in 1892, and is now the John Rylands Library, Manchester University.
A carved mahogany 'X' frame hall stool in the manner of Gillows of Lancaster, the bowed moulded edge solid seat on serpentine carved ‘X’ frame supports centred by a shaped foliage carved panel hand painted with the Spencer crest and with gilt ‘C' scroll accents to the sides. The original George III, circa 1760.
W 23½ x D 15¼ x H 19¾